Hometown: Mumbai, Maharashtra Profession: Police Commisioner Age: 57 Years
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 155 cm
in meters– 1.55 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 8”
|Weight (approx.)||in kilograms– 65 kg
in pounds– 143 lbs
|Hair Colour||Salt and Pepper|
|Date of Birth||15 August 1965 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||57 Years|
|Controversy||In March 2022, she was accused for illegally tapping the phone calls of some Maharashtra leaders. India Today|
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse||Uday Shukla (IPS officer) (died on 28 May 2018)|
Some lesser Known Facts About Rashmi Shukla
- Rashmi Shukla is an Indian Police Officer of 1988 batch of the Maharashtra cadre. In August 2022, she came into the limelight when she was accused to phone tapping case of politicians in Maharashtra. She is known for her dedication towards the security and betterment of women in the Maharashtra.
- In 2004, Rashmi Shukla was the recipient of the DGP’s Insignia. In 2005, she was honoured with the President Police Medal for Meritorious Service. In 2008, when she was appointed as a coordinator with the Maharashtra Government then during the November 2008 terror attacks, she earned many appreciation awards for her outstanding performance. In 2013, Rashmi Shukla was felicitated with the President Police Medal for Distinguished Service.
Rashmi Shukla while receiving an award for her excellence
- From 2014 to 2019, Rashmi Shukla held many important positions during the BJP-Shiv Sena alliance government led by Devendra Fadnavis. These posts include Commissioner of Police in Pune and Commissioner of State Intelligence Department (SID).
- In 2016, she was appointed as the Police commissioner of Mumbai, and upon holding this position, she became the second woman to hold the position.
- In 2018, Rashmi Shukla’s husband died at a private hospital after cardiac arrest. He was suffering from cancer and was 58 years old. He was and IPS officer and was posted as RPF Chief Security Commissioner-cum-IG with the Western Railways in Mumbai.
- In 2021, she was empanelled for holding posts of ADG at Government of India.
Rashmi Shukla while taking a new charge in Mumbai
- In October 2022, Rashmi Shukla was posted as additional director general of Central Reserve Police Force in Hyderabad. She was holding the most senior IPS officer position after DG of Hyderabad, Hemant Nagrale. The Hyderabad DGP, Rajnish Seth is her junior. According to some media sources, it was announced that Rashmi Shukla would superannuated in June 2024.
- In March 2022, Rashmi Shukla attracted controversy when the the Colaba police registered a case against her under phone tapping of state Congress chief Nana Patole, NCP leader Eknath Khadse, and Shiv Sena leader Sanjay Raut in Maharashtra during the Shiv Sena-NCP-Congress government in Maharashtra. The FIR claimed,
The SID (state intelligence department) in their application seeking permission had provided the numbers of the duo with their names changed and claimed that they were involved in anti-social activities.”
However, after the new government in Maharashtra was took over by Eknath Shinde, the police filed a closure report against Shukla under illegal phone tapping of state leaders stating that there was no evidence. In a complaint lodged by Nana Patole, he narrated that his phone was tapped in the year 2016-2017, when Rashmi Shukla was posted as the Police Commisioner of Pune. He said,
It was tapped on the pretext that it belonged to one Amjad Khan involved in narcotics smuggling.”
Rashmi Shukla during a press meet
- In March 2022, her advocate Sameer Nangre stated in the court room that the FIR was registered against her only with the intention to harras her. India Today The case was registered against her under Section 165 (public servant obtaining any valuable thing, without consideration, from a person concerned in any proceeding or business transacted by such public servant) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and Section 26 of the Telegraph Act.
Rashmi Shukla while in police protection
- In October 2022, she hit the headlines when she was named by one of the leaders from the Mharashtra BJP government that she would be empaneled in the rank of DGP by the central government in the Centre or Maharashtra.
- While talking to a media house, Rashmi Shukla focussed on the strength and power of a woman. She narrated that gender bias and inequality was not a true fact, it was in mind only. She said,
Women are at the forefront of their careers. They have stormed all-male bastions and have reached greater heights in a male-dominated society. Why do they think of gender bias and inequality? I have not faced any gender bias and inequality in my career at all.”
|↑1, ↑2||India Today|