Mukunda Goswami is an American spiritual guru who is known for being the leader of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness in England which is popularly known as ISKCON or the Hare Krishnas.
Mukunda Goswami was born as Michael Grant on Friday, 10 April 1942 (age 80 years; as of 2022) in Portland, Oregon. His zodiac sign is Aries. He pursued his graduation at Reed College, Portland, Oregon. He wanted to become a musician for which he moved to New York after his graduation.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Bald
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
There is not much information about his parents. His brother’s name is Tom Grant, who is a musician.
Mukunda was married to Janaki, but they got divorced in the 1980s. After his divorce, in 1982, he took up Sannyasa from Jayapataka Swami.
He follows Hinduism.
Mukunda used to work as a professional jazz musician before becoming a spiritual leader.
In 1966, he was a prominent part of the Hare Krishna movement.
Mukunda Goswami during the early days of the Hare Krishna movement
Later in 1966, he helped Bhaktivedanta Swami to set up the first Hare Krishna temple in New York. In 1967, he established the first Hare Krishna temple in San Francisco. He also organized a music event, the Mantra-Rock Dance during the opening of the temple.
First Hare Krishna temple in San Francisco by Mukunda Goswami
In 1968, he went to London along with his wife to begin ISKCON in England. In 1971, he was one of the composers of the devotional music album ‘The Radha Krsna Temple’ released on Apple Records. The album was produced by Beatle George Harrison. The song ‘Hare Krishna Mantra’ gained a lot of popularity and entered the UK Singles Chart.
Mukunda Goswami recording the song with George Harrison
In 1977, he started the ISKCON Communications Office in Los Angeles. He has written some publications and books including Chant and be Happy … The Story of the Hare Krishna Mantra (1982), Coming Back: The Science of Reincarnation (1982), The Higher Taste: A Guide to Gourmet Vegetarian Cooking and a Karma-Free Diet (1983), Divine Nature: A Spiritual Perspective on the Environmental Crisis (1995), Inside the Hare Krishna Movement: An Ancient Eastern Religious Tradition Comes of Age in the Western World (2001), and Miracle on Second Avenue: Hare Krishna Arrives in the West (1966).
Cover of the book ‘Divine Nature A Spiritual Perspective on the Environmental Crisis’
- In 1965, he decided to switch his profession after he met Hare Krishna founder A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada. He joined the first group of initiated disciples in 1966. After joining the group, he was given the Sanskrit name Mukunda Dasa.
Mukunda Goswami with A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
- He served as the ISKCON Minister of Communication at the Governing Body Commission from 1984 to 1999.
- He lived in different countries including San Diego, New Zealand and Australia.
- On 23 October 2015, he was admitted to the hospital for hip surgery after he slipped in his bathroom. While he was in the hospital, he suffered a heart attack. His devotees organised kirtans at various places and prayed for his recovery.
- In 2022, Mukunda is still serving as an ICJ Advisory Board Member.