Age: 80 Years Marital Status: Divorced Hometown: Portland, Oregon
|Birth name||Michael Grant Mukunda Goswami – Facebook|
|Known for||Being the spiritual leader of International Society for Krishna Consciousness (popularly known as ISKCON or the Hare Krishnas) in England|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 163 cm
in meters– 1.63 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 4”
|Date of Birth||10 April 1942 (Friday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||80 Years|
|College/University||Reed College, Portland, Oregon|
|Religion||Hinduism Mukunda Goswami – Facebook|
|Relationships & More|
|Siblings||Brother– Tom Grant (musician)|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mukunda Goswami
- Mukunda Goswami is an American spiritual leader of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness in England which is also known as ISKCON.
- Before becoming a spiritual leader, he was a professional jazz musician. He moved to New York to pursue his music career after his graduation.
- In 1965, Michael met the Hare Krishna founder A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada after which he became a member of the first group of initiated disciples in 1966. There, he received the Sanskrit name Mukunda Dasa.
Mukunda Goswami with A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada
- He was among the most important persons in the early days of the Hare Krishna movement in 1966.
Mukunda Goswami during the early days of the Hare Krishna movement
- Later in 1966, he rented a store in New York and helped Bhaktivedanta Swami to make the first Hare Krishna temple.
- In 1967, he founded the first Hare Krishna temple in San Francisco and even organized a major music event, the Mantra-Rock Dance.
First Hare Krishna temple in San Francisco by Mukunda Goswami
- In 1968, he and his wife went to London under the guidance of A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada to establish ISKCON in England.
- In 1971, Mukunda wrote the musical arrangements for the devotional music album ‘The Radha Krsna Temple’ produced by Beatle George Harrison. The album was released on Apple Records in 1971. From the album, the song ‘Hare Krishna Mantra’ became really famous and came into the UK Singles Chart.
Mukunda Goswami recording the song with George Harrison
- In 1977, Mukunda established the ISKCON Communications Office in Los Angeles. According to his social media profile, he is a writer, editor and researcher and has written some publications including Chant and be Happy … The Story of the Hare Krishna Mantra (1982), Coming Back: The Science of Reincarnation (1982), The Higher Taste: A Guide to Gourmet Vegetarian Cooking and a Karma-Free Diet (1983), Divine Nature: A Spiritual Perspective on the Environmental Crisis (1995), Inside the Hare Krishna Movement: An Ancient Eastern Religious Tradition Comes of Age in the Western World (2001), and Miracle on Second Avenue: Hare Krishna Arrives in the West (1966).
Poster of Miracle on Second Avenue
- When Mukunda was living in England with his wife, she decided to leave him after which he never got married again. In 1982, he became a Sannyasa from Jayapataka Swami.
- From 1984 to 1999, he was the ISKCON Minister of Communication at the Governing Body Commission.
- Till the 1990s, he lived in San Diego and then moved to New Zealand. Later, he joined the ISKCON New Govardhana community, near Murwillumbah, NSW, Australia.
- On 23 October 2015, Mukunda suffered a heart attack after he slipped in his bathroom and was admitted to the hospital. He fractured a hip and had hip surgery. While he was in the hospital, he also had a heart attack. After listening to this news, his devotees organised kirtans in many places for his recovery.
- As of 2022, Mukunda is still an ICJ Advisory Board Member.
|↑1||Mukunda Goswami – Facebook|
|↑2||Mukunda Goswami – Facebook|