Wife: Lata Eknath Shinde
Father: Sambhaji Navlu Shinde
Age: 58 Years
• Social Worker
|Famous for||Being a Member of Legislative Assembly from Kopri-Pachpakhadi constituency of Thane, Maharashtra, India|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Political Party||Shiv Sena|
|Political Journey||• 1997 : Elected to Thane Municipal Corporation as corporator for the first time
• 2001 : Elected to the post of the leader of the house in Thane Municipal Corporation.
• 2002 : Elected to Thane Municipal Corporation for the second time
• 2004 : Elected to Maharashtra Legislative Assembly
• 2005 : Appointed the Thane district head of Shiv Sena. First MLA to have been appointed at such a coveted post in the party
• 2009 : Elected to Maharashtra Legislative Assembly
• 2014 : Elected to Maharashtra Legislative Assembly
• October 2014 – December 2014: Leader of opposition Maharashtra Legislative Assembly
• 2014 – 2019: Cabinet Minister of PWD (PU) in Maharashtra State Government
• 2014 – 2019: Guardian minister of Thane District
• 2018 : Appointed Leader of Shiv Sena Party
• 2019: Cabinet Minister of Public Health and Family Welfare (Marathi: सार्वजनिक आरोग्य आणि कुटुंब कल्याण) in Maharashtra State Government
• 2019 : Elected to Maharashtra Legislative Assembly for the fourth consecutive time
• 2019 : Elected as the leader of the legislative party of Shivsena
• On 28 November 2019 : Took oath as Cabinet Minister under Maha-Vikas-Aghadi headed by Honorable Chief minister of Maharashtra Mr Uddhav ji Thackeray
• 2019: Appointed minister of Urban Development and Public Works (Public Undertakings)
• 2019: Appointed Minister of Home Affairs(Acting)(28 November 2019 – 30 December 2019)
• 2020: Appointed guardian minister of Thane district
|Date of Birth||9 February 1964 (Sunday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||58 Years|
|School||New English High School Thane|
|College||Vashvantrao Chavan Open University, Maharashtra|
|Educational Qualification||• 11th Pass from Mangala High School & Junior College, Thane in 1981 My Neta
• Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree from Yashvantrao Chavan Open University, Maharashtra
|Address||Bungalow No. 5 & 6, Landmark Society, Louiswadi Service Road, Thane-400604, Maharashtra|
|Hobbies||Reading books and Watching movies|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Lata Eknath Shinde (construction business)|
|Children||Son– Shrikant Shinde (politician)|
Father– Sambhaji Navlu Shinde
Mother– Name Not Known
|Assets/Properties (approx.) (as of 2019) My Neta||
Cash: Rs. 2,81,000
Agricultural Land: Rs. 28,00,000
Liabilities: Rs. 3,74,60,261
|Net Worth (approx.) (as of 2019)||7.82 crores My Neta|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Eknath Shinde
- Eknath Shinde is an Indian politician and the Cabinet Minister of Urban Development and Public Works (Public Undertakings) in the Government of Maharashtra. In 2019, he was appointed as the Member of the Legislative Assembly from the Kopri-Pachpakhadi constituency of Thane, Maharashtra on the ticket of Shiv Sena. In the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly elections till 2019, he was elected for four terms including 2004, 2009, 2014, and 2019.
- Dr Shrikant Shinde, the son of Eknath Shinde, was elected as a Member of Parliament to the Lok Sabha from the Kalyan constituency in 2014. He defeated the NCP’s candidate Anand Paranjape. Dr Shrikant Shinde is an orthopaedic surgeon.
- He quit his school education and started working a small work to earn a livelihood for his family. When he was doing odd jobs in his career, in the 1980s, he came into the contact with Shivsena supremo Bal Thackeray and Shivsena’s Thane District Chief Anand Dighe, who assisted him to join Shivsena. In 2014, he resumed his studies after becoming a minister in the BJP-Shivsena government and earned a Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Marathi and Politics subjects with distinction from Vashvantrao Chavan Open University, Maharashtra.
- In the 1970s and 80s, Eknath Shinde was influenced by Shiv Sena supremo Balasaheb Thackeray and the workings of the then Thane district president Shri Anand Dighe. In 1980, he was appointed as the Shakha Pramukh of Kisan Nagar soon after he joined Shiv Sena. Soon, he started participating in many political and social agitations initiated by his party including inflation, black marketing, hoarding of essential commodities such as palm oil by traders etc. In 1985, he participated in the Maharashtra-Karnataka Border agitation after which he was detained by the Maharashtra police in Bellary jail for over 40 days.
- In 1997, he contested the Thane Municipal Corporation (TMC) elections as a corporater and won the elections. From 2001 to 2004, he served as a Leader of the house in TMC.
- Soon after the sudden death of the Thane district chief of Shiv Sena, Anand Dighe, in 2001, he was appointed at his place to save Shiv Sena in the district. He was appointed as the chief of the Thane district. Under his leadership and guidance, Shiv Sena came into power in the Thane Municipal Corporation, Kalyan-Dombivali Municipal Corporation, Ulhasnagar Municipal Corporation, Bhiwandi Municipal Corporation, Ambernath Municipal Council, and Badlapur Municipal Council.
- In 2004, he contested the Assembly Elections from Thane Assembly Constituency and won the elections with a great margin of votes under the leadership of Balasaheb Thackeray. In the following year, he was appointed as the Thane District Head by Shiv Sena. Later, the subsequent assembly elections in 2009, 2014, and 2019 were won by him. He was appointed as the leader of the legislative party of Shiv Sena and the Leader of the Opposition in the Maharashtra Assembly soon after the 2014 assembly elections. In January 2019, he was appointed as the Minister for Public Works Department (Public Undertakings) with the additional responsibility of the Health and Family Welfare Ministry.
- From 2004 to 2014, Shinde as a leader of the Opposition party continuously raised the state issues such as The Cluster Development scheme for dilapidated illegal buildings in Thane and MMR, Thane Metro, a New Extended Thane Station between Thane and Mulund, Water Scarcity, coastal security of the state, Modernization of the Police Force, Inflation, increasing debt of the State, etc. and often spotted delivering speeches on these topics in his political rallies.
- The projects for Thane city named Cluster Development and Thane Metro were approved under the leadership and assistance of Shinde. He often advocates the issues related to the rehabilitation of lakhs of such residents who were thrown out of their houses due to the illegal construction of buildings in Thane.
- In December 2019, the Shivsena joined hands with the BJP-led government in Maharashtra, and then, Eknath Shinde was appointed as the Minister of Public Works. He was given additional responsibility as chairman of the Maharashtra State Roads Development Corporation (MSRDC).
- In 1996, MSRDC was established for the Mumbai-Pune Expressway project to boost road development in the state. Under this project, the first expressway of the Mumbai-Pune Express Highway, two flyovers in Mumbai, and the Bandra-Worli Sea Link in Mumbai were constructed. However, in 1999, the Congress-NCP led government came to power, and this project was ignored for political reasons. Later, Eknath Shinde assumed charge of the department and vowed to revive MSRDC, and in the next five years, many huge projects including Mumbai-Nagpur Expressway (Samrudhhi Highway), Mumbai-Pune Express Highway Capacity Extension, Third Bridge on Thane Bay at Vashi, Bandra-Versova Sea Link, six-laning and concretization of roads, 27 railway fly pools in Vidarbha, the Thane-Borivli Subway, Versova-Virar Sea-Link, and Gaymukh-Fountain hotel-Ghodbundar advanced routes were completed under the leadership of Shinde.
- During his tenure as a corporator at Thane Municipal Corporation, several crucial measures were adopted and established by Shinde to reduce accidents on the Mumbai-Pune speeding route. These measures include the authorised placing of metal beam crash barriers and wire rope barriers along the road, and in the centre, thermoplastic paint all over the highway and the Rambler were made necessary. He issued notices to establish over two thousand highlighted suggestions boards. He also ordered increased patrols through the Delta Force. Several CCTV and speed gun measures were established to ensure compliance with the speed limit so that the number of accidents was lowered. Reportedly, there were 151 casualties due to road accidents were reported in 2016, and in 2018, the number was reduced to 110. He instructed to implement the ‘Zero Fitness Corridor’ scheme in collaboration with the Save Life Foundation to reduce this ratio to zero. He allowed the opening of the Trauma Care Centre in Ozarde. Other preventive projects include protective nets, rock bolting, and measures to hold the cracks.
- In January 2019, he was appointed as the Health Minister of Maharashtra by Uddhav Thackeray. As a health minister, he filled the 890 vacancies of MBBS doctors and specialists in several government hospitals, issued regulations to pay contract workers under the National Health Scheme and raised their salaries, started the dialysis centres in sub-district hospitals, approved 60 dispensaries under the ‘Balasaheb Thackeray Aapla Dawakhana’ scheme, a hospital named Mahavir Jain Hospital was started at Hajuri in Thane in collaboration with the Thane Municipality and a service organization, Jito.
- He remains very active on various social media platforms. On Instagram, he is followed by over 164k people. Over 401k people follow his Facebook page. He often posts pictures and videos of his political rallies and campaigns on social media.
|↑2, ↑3||My Neta|